It’s that time again! We are seeking nominations for Executive Committee (ex-comm) positions of AFSUW for the 2012-13 academic year. Both nominees and nominators must be students at the University of Washington.
Additionally, the Washington-British Columbia Chapter of AFS is seeking nominations for their position of student representative. You don’t have to be a student at UW to apply, just a student and member of AFS!
What’s in it for you? Just a few benefits of becoming a member of the AFSUW ex-comm:
- Numerous networking opportunities with people across the fisheries field
- As a registered student organization, AFSUW is eligible to apply for funds from UW to hold events or bring in speakers
- Leadership roles at AFSUW will boost your chances at receiving scholarships and fellowships from AFS national, state chapters, sections, and divisions
- Chance to invite your preferred speakers for the career development seminar series
- And of course, round out your CV with a leadership position
- Acts as the spokesperson of the chapter and communicates with collaborators
- Coordinates bi-weekly meetings of the Executive Committee
- Manages task-sharing between Executive Committee members
- Submits applications for funding to the UW, the WA-BC Chapter of AFS, and other organizations
- Assists other Executive Committee members in fundraising, event planning, website maintenance, and management of the AFSUW email account.
- Manages event planning – contacts speakers, coordinates supplies and equipment
- Assists Executive Committee members communication with collaborators, website maintenance and fundraising.
- Takes notes at the Execute Committee meetings
- Reserves rooms and equipment necessary for meetings, seminars, and socials
- Manages AFSUW email account
- Keeps track of the AFSUW bank account, writes checks, and other financial business
- Takes the lead on fundraising projects (ex. selling pint glasses).
- Maintains our online presence on social media sites and our blog
- Coordinates the video recording and sharing of events
Student Representative to WA-BC AFS:
- attends all EXCOM meetings as a voting member,
- serves as a liaison between student activities and the EXCOM, and
- assists in preparation of the Chapter’s Annual General Meeting, with particular emphasis on student-related programs and activities.
The WA-BC AFS executive committee says:
Creative opportunities abound as the student representative is charged with finding ways to interact and involve students from all universities or colleges with a fisheries program. We’ve found that having student participation on the Chapter EXCOM is a highly valuable addition that helps us in innumerable ways. Help the WA-BC Chapter support students better by applying for the Student Subunit Representative position!